I have moved!

Please visit the new and improved Paper Garden Blog. I'd love to have you stop by. Just click HERE

Monday, February 25, 2008

Nestibilities.....

I thought I'd share a couple cards using the Nestibilities diecuts today. They both use the Heart Topiary cling set.

I know most people make red or pink roses - but yellow are my favorite - just love them. I've tried to grow them in the garden, but in my area they are black spot magnets and I'm just not willing to do all the spraying to keep them healthy. (I found out from a rose expert that the genetics that make yellow roses yellow also make them much more susceptable to black spot - who knew??)

But I can make yellow roses! I colored these with my Copics and cut them out with the rectangle Nestibility die. Then I framed it with the scalloped rectangle.


One little tip - I like to stamp first and then cut it out. Its much easier for me to center the image that way. To keep my die in place, I put tiny pieces of blue painter's tape on the die - sticking it to the paper I won't be using. This keeps me from shifting it when I assemble my sandwich and feed it through the machine.

(You also get a great view of my dirty stamping pad - and my frugal ways with paper!)





For this next card, I wanted to create a framed window for the trowel from the Heart Topiary set.

I colored the trowel in this card with my Prismacolor pencils. Copic markers will bleed through pretty much any paper. If I had used them, the color would have appeared on the back of the card in yucky splotches.



I cut my frame by first cutting the rectangle, then centering the larger scalloped rectangle around it and cutting again - using the tape to hold the scalloped rectangle in place. I ran the frame through the Wizard a second time to emboss it.






Then I attached my patterned paper (from K&Co) to the card front. I used a small amount of temporary adhesive because I knew I wanted to add the ribbon.
I positioned the same rectangle die I used for the inside of the frame. I taped the die in place - with the tape on the inside because that what the piece I was going to discard.

Once the window was cut, I removed the patterned paper and tied the ribbon around the left side - then glued it in place. I stamped the trowel image through the window, colored it and glued on the frame.
Those are my little Nestibilities tips. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Flossie's Follies said...

These are lovely,, thanks for the information, did not know that about yellow roses either.

PaperAddict said...

Lovely cards! I like yellow roses as well, but I don't garden so paper ones do it for me, too!
Thanks for the step-by-step on the Nestabilities. My first set (rectangles) are still on backorder - drat!
Catherine

Betsy said...

so many great hints for using the nesties in this post! thanks so much for sharing. great card!